Dunkin’ Donuts is hoping to cash in on rage-filled, under-caffeinated Starbucks fans with its new DD Perks Rewards program. Coincidentally — or not — it launched today a new version of its mobile app for “quick, easy and secure payment.”
Guests who join DD Perks using the special code “STARS” through April 21 will earn an automatic 125 points towards a free any-size beverage, plus an additional 125 points during their second and third visits when purchases are made using an enrolled Dunkin’ Donuts card, said Sherrill Kaplan, VP of Digital Marketing & Innovation at Dunkin’ Donuts, “Our guests are the cornerstone of our brand, and we are committed to continuing to exceed their expectations.
Although numerous Starbucks customers posted angry Tweets when the coffee giant previewed the changes in February, their anger is again percolating via Twitter, since the official changes took place this week.
“We believe that if customers continue to engage as they did previously, the vast majority of our customers will earn Rewards just as fast — or faster — than they did before the program change,” wrote Emily, a Starbucks spokesperson, in an email to FastCasual.com.
The new program, which allows members to earn Stars for every $1 spent, started this week. Previously, customers earned a star for each transaction, regardless of how much they spent, and when they earned 12 stars, they received a free food or drink item of their choice.
“This opens up new opportunities for us to do more with our Stars and create a more flexible program, including partnerships with like-minded companies — such as Spotify, NYT and Lyft — where our customers will be able to earn Stars outside of Starbucks,” Emily said.
Dunkin’ is hoping it opens up new opportunities for it to move in on Starbucks’ territory.
“With 4.3 million DD Perks members, we look forward to welcoming new guests and rewarding them with even more points to keep them running on Dunkin,'” Kaplan said.
With the DD Perks Rewards program, guests earn five points for every dollar they spend on qualifying purchases at Dunkin’ Donuts when they pay using an enrolled Dunkin’ Donuts Card, either plastic or via the Dunkin’ Mobile App.
Once a member accrues 200 points, he or she receives a coupon for a free any-size beverage, redeemable at participating Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants.
Reprinted with permission from www.FastCasual.com
- Southern, salad and poké on the menu for Fast Casual Perfect Pitch - September 19, 2018
- 10th edition Fast Casual State of the Industry report now available - September 18, 2018
- Wow Bao wowing with self-service - August 2, 2018
- Freshii named FastCasual’s top brand of the year - May 23, 2018
- Big data key to growing brand,’ Quizno’s VP says - March 6, 2018
- Freshii marketing exec talks tech, social media and Drake - February 20, 2018
- Freshii CEO, founder keynoting 2018 Restaurant Franchising and Innovation Summit - January 17, 2018
- Get your nominations in for FastCasual Top 100 - January 9, 2018
- Fast casual CEOs offer a look ahead at trends for 2018, Part II - January 3, 2018
- Fast casual CEOs offer a look ahead at trends for 2018 - December 26, 2017