The first-ever UGG Australia technology-driven concept store opened in 2014 in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, featuring interactive digital signage touchscreens and giving shoppers the ability to customize their favorite styles.
UGG Australia parent Deckers Brands opened the omnichannel experience store in the Tysons Galleria shopping center to serve as Deckers’ second “Innovation Lab” — the first was the company’s brand showcase store in the Santa Barbara, California, area — to pilot new omnichannel models, merchandising approaches and innovations that can be deployed across company-owned retail locations.
“Omnichannel isn’t just a catchphrase for Deckers; it’s an integral part of our culture of innovation and our retail strategy — one that we’ve made investments in for more than five years now — to engage with our consumers with respect to their preferred shopping channel,” said Dave Powers, president of omnichannel for Deckers Brands, in announcing the store’s opening. “That strategy is on full display at the UGG store, where we are merging the best of digital and physical shopping experiences, and setting the foundation for future omni capabilities across our brands.”
The 2,110-square-foot store was designed to underscore Deckers’ commitment to delivering compelling products to consumers through seamless shopping experiences, the company said. The store’s aesthetic is complemented by interactive digital enhancements that are intended to introduce elements of online shopping into the physical brick-and-mortar store. The store gives shoppers access to the nearly 230 SKUs on display, as well as “Infinite UGG” products – an “endless aisle” of merchandise not found in-store. The product assortment also is heightened by two UGG customization programs:
- The “UGG By You” program places the consumer in control of the design process to make their mark on five classic styles of UGGS.
- The “Bling It On” program enables consumers to transform their UGG staples through a selection of Swarovski crystal patterns and looks.
The store also features radio-frequency identification technology that allows consumers trying on merchandise to view digitally triggered content on four 65-inch HD touchscreens throughout the store, including product information and options, style tips, videos, related marketing campaigns and suggested complementary products. Consumers can send themselves SMS texts with a product link right from the HD screens. Deckers Brands partnered with Control Group, a New York-based technology and design consultancy, to create the interactive intelligence solutions incorporated into the RFID tags and touchscreens.
UGG sales associates were equipped with iPads to attend to product questions, provide customer service support and complete e-commerce purchase transactions for items not available on the sales floor, according to the company announcement. In addition, consumers will have access to free Wi-Fi while shopping so they can connect with their social channels and share their shopping experiences. When the consumer’s journey moves from the sales floor to the checkout, transactions of in-stock merchandise will be completed on tablets, and select Infinite UGG orders can be shipped overnight for free or picked up in-store.
Watch a brief video of the in-store technology in action, below:
- Fazoli’s launches mobile ordering and loyalty app in Morehead & Maysville - March 20, 2018
- LG Display to showcase Luflex OLED lighting products - March 20, 2018
- Stephen Hawking: Intel remembers the famed physicist - March 20, 2018
- March Madness: Top College Basketball Arenas - March 20, 2018
- Words from the women of Shikatani Lacroix - March 20, 2018
- 3 observations on healthcare technology - March 20, 2018
- Why your website makes lousy kiosk content - March 20, 2018
- Diversified brings home the 2018 Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Star Award for Excellence in the Face of Adversity - March 20, 2018
- How we use digital signage internally to improve employee engagement and workplace culture - March 16, 2018
- DAVANNI’S Restaurants deliver promotional content from the cloud via Skykit content management system - March 16, 2018