By Sydney McMurter – Shikatani Lacroix
Delivery service for groceries will soon be available for Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, and T&T stores in Canada, beginning with the Greater Toronto Area market in December and in the Greater Vancouver Area in January. Partnering with Instacart, orders can be delivered in as quick as one hour, with additional fees for the expedited service. Time windows are selected to ensure that the customer is home when their order is delivered. This new initiative builds on Loblaws’ existing Click & Collect program.
It is a move that will hopefully offer more convenience for Loblaws customers. In an interview with the Toronto Star, Loblaws’ CEO Galen Weston said that 2018 looks to be a difficult year, and announced the closure of 22 stores.
Walmart also recently stated that they will offer an expanded delivery service in Canada before the end of the year using Walmart trucks and Daily Delivery and JoeyCo partners. Walmart had previously begun testing the service in the spring, and will be slowly rolling it out to ensure that it fits with each market.
These service additions are likely due to growing e-commerce competition from other retailers and the looming threat of AmazonFresh, which has not yet made its way to Canada. Longo’s has been a leader in grocery home delivery since it purchased Grocery Gateway in 2004, and FreshCo, Sobey’s Urban Fresh, and Costco Wholesale also offer the service through InstaBuggy.
These shifts in grocery are part of a larger trend of online shopping that is reshaping many industries.
- Dunkin’ Donuts integrates on-the-go mobile ordering with the Google Assistant - March 21, 2018
- NEC Display Solutions announces major expansion of Latin American team - March 21, 2018
- Fazoli’s launches mobile ordering and loyalty app in Morehead & Maysville - March 20, 2018
- LG Display to showcase Luflex OLED lighting products - March 20, 2018
- Stephen Hawking: Intel remembers the famed physicist - March 20, 2018
- March Madness: Top College Basketball Arenas - March 20, 2018
- Words from the women of Shikatani Lacroix - March 20, 2018
- 3 observations on healthcare technology - March 20, 2018
- Why your website makes lousy kiosk content - March 20, 2018
- Diversified brings home the 2018 Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Star Award for Excellence in the Face of Adversity - March 20, 2018