From industry leaders to subscription startups, the beauty industry is not feeling the retail hit like the other sectors and here’s why.
Retailers across different sectors are struggling to compete with e-commerce giants like Amazon and bankruptcy is becoming a real risk for most. But not all.
Now, let’s look at the beauty sector. Ulta’s online sales grew 63% in the third quarter and Sephora’s innovative approach to in-store experiences has kept them relevant and as a technology leader in the retail space. It seems that the beauty sector is not struggling with engaging customers or communicating with in-market consumers. What’s their secret?
Five years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to buy your cosmetics from the nearest department store. Then a wave of innovation hit when beauty brands uncovered the value in utility when creating an in-store experience.
Through innovation and experimentation, beauty giants like Sephora and Ulta have raised shopper’s expectations on how retailers can stand out from e-commerce.
Jason Goldberg, SVP of Content and Commerce from SapientRazorfish provided his insight: “In reality, most of the magic mirrors haven’t dramatically improved the try-on experience in a dressing room and most of the virtual reality fashion shows haven’t dramatically made it easier to shop for apparel in apparel retail.”
This suggests that retailers need to be more strategic about their technology investments and focus on solving their customers’ pain points when implementing new innovations.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto.com
- BrightSign media players drive interactive digital transformation in Best Buy Canada Experience Stores - September 20, 2018
- Almo Professional A/V enables Integrators to use exhibit hall as new product showroom - September 19, 2018
- LG introduces world’s first 8K OLED TV - September 19, 2018
- NEC and Solace collaborate on data connectivity - September 18, 2018
- How interactive displays are increasing in quality, decreasing in cost - September 18, 2018
- Reflect’s Bill Warren wins Tech Titans 2018 Community Hero Award - September 18, 2018
- Intel drone helping to preserve Korean cultural heritage - September 18, 2018
- Thin clients bring high security, ease of management and cost savings - September 17, 2018
- NEC Display Solutions delivering end-to-end video wall solution for customers - September 17, 2018
- Zivelo introduces turn-key kiosk deployment services - September 17, 2018