From industry leaders to subscription startups, the beauty industry is not feeling the retail hit like the other sectors and here’s why.
Retailers across different sectors are struggling to compete with e-commerce giants like Amazon and bankruptcy is becoming a real risk for most. But not all.
Now, let’s look at the beauty sector. Ulta’s online sales grew 63% in the third quarter and Sephora’s innovative approach to in-store experiences has kept them relevant and as a technology leader in the retail space. It seems that the beauty sector is not struggling with engaging customers or communicating with in-market consumers. What’s their secret?
Five years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to buy your cosmetics from the nearest department store. Then a wave of innovation hit when beauty brands uncovered the value in utility when creating an in-store experience.
Through innovation and experimentation, beauty giants like Sephora and Ulta have raised shopper’s expectations on how retailers can stand out from e-commerce.
Jason Goldberg, SVP of Content and Commerce from SapientRazorfish provided his insight: “In reality, most of the magic mirrors haven’t dramatically improved the try-on experience in a dressing room and most of the virtual reality fashion shows haven’t dramatically made it easier to shop for apparel in apparel retail.”
This suggests that retailers need to be more strategic about their technology investments and focus on solving their customers’ pain points when implementing new innovations.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto.com
- Kohler introduces voice-command technology into the bathroom, announces new smart home products with ‘Kohler Konnect’ - January 10, 2018
- The secret ingredients to successful digital menu boards - January 10, 2018
- Keep your employees engaged with digital communications - January 10, 2018
- Why the beauty sector will continue to grow in 2018 - January 10, 2018
- How retailers will compete with Amazon Go - January 10, 2018
- Frank Pisano joins BrightSign as Vice President of Sales - January 10, 2018
- Luxoft and Intel collaborate to create fully integrated digital cockpit computer reference platform - January 10, 2018
- NEC Display Solutions offers a 3 year warranty on all lamp-based projectors - January 10, 2018
- Pizza Hut forges global alliance with Toyota to explore fully-autonomous delivery vehicles - January 10, 2018
- Elo doubles performance power of popular I-series for Android platform - January 10, 2018