From industry leaders to subscription startups, the beauty industry is not feeling the retail hit like the other sectors and here’s why.
Retailers across different sectors are struggling to compete with e-commerce giants like Amazon and bankruptcy is becoming a real risk for most. But not all.
Now, let’s look at the beauty sector. Ulta’s online sales grew 63% in the third quarter and Sephora’s innovative approach to in-store experiences has kept them relevant and as a technology leader in the retail space. It seems that the beauty sector is not struggling with engaging customers or communicating with in-market consumers. What’s their secret?
Five years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to buy your cosmetics from the nearest department store. Then a wave of innovation hit when beauty brands uncovered the value in utility when creating an in-store experience.
Through innovation and experimentation, beauty giants like Sephora and Ulta have raised shopper’s expectations on how retailers can stand out from e-commerce.
Jason Goldberg, SVP of Content and Commerce from SapientRazorfish provided his insight: “In reality, most of the magic mirrors haven’t dramatically improved the try-on experience in a dressing room and most of the virtual reality fashion shows haven’t dramatically made it easier to shop for apparel in apparel retail.”
This suggests that retailers need to be more strategic about their technology investments and focus on solving their customers’ pain points when implementing new innovations.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto.com
- NEC Display updates popular professional desktop display for color-critical uses - June 22, 2018
- Eagle Harbor Solutions and Diversified partner to serve federal and intel communities - June 21, 2018
- Introducing SEAMLESS by Peerless-AV: Our new LED video wall integration program - June 21, 2018
- Take your operations to the next level with digital communications - June 21, 2018
- Safety is why Intel bought Mobileye - June 20, 2018
- View Dynamic Glass chosen for DFW Airport transformation - June 20, 2018
- Almo expands hospitality offerings to enhance guest experience, drive loyalty and boost revenue for hoteliers - June 20, 2018
- Don’t let bad potholes ruin good pizza! Domino’s starts paving for pizza - June 20, 2018
- Moving from static to digital signage - June 20, 2018
- Digital Signage at Morey’s Piers, Beachfront Water Parks and Hotels - June 20, 2018