From industry leaders to subscription startups, the beauty industry is not feeling the retail hit like the other sectors and here’s why.
Retailers across different sectors are struggling to compete with e-commerce giants like Amazon and bankruptcy is becoming a real risk for most. But not all.
Now, let’s look at the beauty sector. Ulta’s online sales grew 63% in the third quarter and Sephora’s innovative approach to in-store experiences has kept them relevant and as a technology leader in the retail space. It seems that the beauty sector is not struggling with engaging customers or communicating with in-market consumers. What’s their secret?
Five years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to buy your cosmetics from the nearest department store. Then a wave of innovation hit when beauty brands uncovered the value in utility when creating an in-store experience.
Through innovation and experimentation, beauty giants like Sephora and Ulta have raised shopper’s expectations on how retailers can stand out from e-commerce.
Jason Goldberg, SVP of Content and Commerce from SapientRazorfish provided his insight: “In reality, most of the magic mirrors haven’t dramatically improved the try-on experience in a dressing room and most of the virtual reality fashion shows haven’t dramatically made it easier to shop for apparel in apparel retail.”
This suggests that retailers need to be more strategic about their technology investments and focus on solving their customers’ pain points when implementing new innovations.
Photo Credit: iStockPhoto.com
- Fazoli’s launches mobile ordering and loyalty app in Morehead & Maysville - March 20, 2018
- LG Display to showcase Luflex OLED lighting products - March 20, 2018
- Stephen Hawking: Intel remembers the famed physicist - March 20, 2018
- March Madness: Top College Basketball Arenas - March 20, 2018
- Words from the women of Shikatani Lacroix - March 20, 2018
- 3 observations on healthcare technology - March 20, 2018
- Why your website makes lousy kiosk content - March 20, 2018
- Diversified brings home the 2018 Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Star Award for Excellence in the Face of Adversity - March 20, 2018
- How we use digital signage internally to improve employee engagement and workplace culture - March 16, 2018
- DAVANNI’S Restaurants deliver promotional content from the cloud via Skykit content management system - March 16, 2018